This blueberry banana buckle coffee cake is so moist and buttery, while being dairy free. It has a cinnamon sugar swirl and a sweet crunchy streusel topping that it seriously hard to resist. Plus the first ever About to Sprout recipe video at the bottom of the blog post! Hope you enjoy it!
This coffee cake is a light, sweet cake intended to be eaten with coffee, but I prefer tea! I am the furthest thing from a coffee lover, but love a good coffee cake! This is the perfect recipe for a fun brunch or just to have a sweet breakfast or snack to munch on for a quick and easy bite. This blueberry buckle recipe has a ripple of cinnamon sugar throughout the middle and a beautiful crunchy streusel topping. It is quite a sweet cake, so I love to pair it with a more bitter tea!
It's fast and easy to make and you likely have the majority of these ingredients in your home already. Whoever said you can't have cake for breakfast has clearly never had a delicious coffee cake!
HOW TO MAKE BLUEBERRY BANANA BUCKLE COFFEE CAKE
It's really just three easy steps! Combine all of your coffee cake recipe ingredients, except the blueberries into one large bowl. Mix until it is well combined. Make your cinnamon sugar swirl by combining coconut sugar, or whatever granulated sugar you have on hand and some cinnamon. Next, make your streusel by combining all dry ingredients and cutting in the butter with your fingers until you form a nice crumble.
Now let's assemble! Grease and flour a cake pan and pour half of the cake batter into the pan. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar all over the first layer of cake batter and then pour the remaining cake batter over it. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the entire top of the cake making sure to cover the whole cake! Bake it off and that's it! It is so so easy!
CAN YOU MAKE BLUEBERRY BANANA BUCKLE COFFEE CAKE IN ADVANCE?
You sure can! I even think it is better the second day! I love to bake off this sweet breakfast cake the night before serving. Bake it off, cool to room temp. Once completely cooled, wrap tightly in plastic wrap or beeswax wrap and place on your kitchen counter. You can also slice it into pieces and place the pieces in a air tight container and leave on your fridge for one day-overnight. Refrigerate after 24 hours, it's so good cold!
YOU CAN ALSO MAKE:
- Streusel Topped Pumpkin Carrot Cake Muffins
- Blueberry and Cashew Butter Hemp Seed Breakfast Bars
- Fluffy Vegan Pancakes with Miso Maple Roasted Strawberries
- Vegan Baked Donuts with a Coconut Butter Beet Glaze
If you make this buckle coffee cake recipe please let me know by leaving a rating/review below! And make sure to sign up for emails so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on my Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness!
Blueberry Banana Buckle Coffee Cake
Blueberry Banana Buckle Coffeecake
- 2 cups all purpose flour gluten free 1-1 works
- 1 ¼ cups coconut sugar any granulated sugar works
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups or 3 medium sized bananas mashed
Cinnamon Sugar Middle
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar any granulated sugar works
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup all purpose flour gluten free 1-1 works
- ½ cup coconut sugar any granulated sugar works
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tsp very cold vegan butter regular butter works great
- 1 ½ cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 9-inch round pan. If using an 8-inch pan, just make sure it's 2 inches deep
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt
- Create a small well in the center of the flour mixture and add olive oil, eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas and stir until smooth until combined then fold in the blueberries
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon and sugar to make the the cinnamon sugar middle
- Pour half of the cake batter into the pan and sprinkle with the cinnamon swirl filling then top filling with remaining batter
- Make your streusel by whisking the dry ingredients then adding cold butter and use your fingers to cut the butter into the flour mixture making pea sized crumble clumps making sure to incorporate all of the dry ingredients
- Spoon the streusel evenly over the top of the cake
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a knife is inserted into the center and comes out clean
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes and then remove from the pan
- Serve warm or at room temp