Matzo Crack. Burnt Caramel Chocolate Quinoa Matzo Crack. Traditionally, well in my family we always liked having matzo crack to munch on during passover, but I am here for it for Hanukkah too, my friends. Today is the 4th night of Hanukkah and I thought why not share one of my favorite recipes ever for this dessert filled end of the year we are all having! Whatever you celebrate you can 100% enjoy this easy recipe for matzo crack.
This is different than your ordinary matzo crack recipe. The base is made with quinoa, hemp seeds, and lots of cracked pieces of matzo. Covered in a traditional toffee, slathered with Alter Eco 70% Crunchy Dark Salted Burnt Caramel Chocolate bars. I guess you could also call this chocolate quinoa bark too!
This recipe post is sponsored by Alter Eco Foods. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions are always my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I use and love so much!
I’ve partnered up with my friends at Alter Eco Foods to bring you the perfect dessert for any holiday celebration! Sweet, salty, and perfectly crunchy, this matzo crack is unlike any you have had before. Alter Eco 70% Crunchy Dark Salted Burnt Caramel Chocolate is my favorite bar to use for this recipe. It compliments the toffee layer so well and has perfect crunchy bits of caramel that taste just slightly toasted. It truly is a perfect match.
HOW TO MAKE MATZO CRACK?
Combine quinoa, hemp seeds, and matzo pieces in a bowl with melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Spread quinoa matzo mixture in a thin layer on a lined baking sheet and bake. Make your toffee. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat combine butter and brown sugar stirring constantly until it reaches a boil and keep stirring until foamy and thickened. Remove bark from oven and immediately pour toffee over and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add chopped chocolate all over the toffee and let melt. Spread chocolate evenly and place in fridge until chilled and you can cut into it.
CAN THESE BURNT CARAMEL QUNIOA MATZO CRACK BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Definitely and I suggest you do so, because they are best eaten out of the fridge or freezer cold. You can keep these in the freezer for up to three months. Store in fridge or freezer in an air tight container and eat from the fridge!
other holiday deliciousness:
- Herby Gruyere Creamed Spinach Challah Bread Pudding
- BEST EVER Dairy Free Matcha Babka
- Spiced Maple Glazed Apple and Whipped Feta Tart
If you make this Matzo Crack recipe please let me know by leaving a rating/review below! And make sure to sign up for so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on my Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness!
Burnt Caramel Chocolate Quinoa Matzo Crack
- 1 ¼ cup quinoa rinsed and dried
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 3 large matzo crackers broken up into different sized pieces
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 2 sticks 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 4 Alter Eco Organic Deep Dark Salted Burnt Caramel Bars coarsely chopped or 12 oz. dark chocolate
- Flaky Salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a slip pad
- In a large bowl add quinoa, hemp seeds, matzo crackers, maple syrup, and coconut oil and mix until well combined and evenly coated
- Spread the quinoa matzo mixture out in an even, thin layer on the prepared baking sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the bark becomes golden
- While your bark is baking, make your toffee. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter and brown sugar stirring constantly with a whisk, until the mixture reaches a boil (if it looks like it’s separating, just keep stirring it will come together!)
- Once it comes to a boil, continue stirring for another 3-4 minutes until foamy and thickened
- Remove bark from oven and immediately pour toffee over the bark, using a spatula to spread into an even layer. Do this quickly, as the toffee will harden quick
- Put pan back into the oven for another 8-10 minutes, until the toffee in bubbling all over
- Remove from oven and immediately scatter the chopped Alter Eco Organic Deep Dark Salted Burnt Caramel Bars all over the top
- Wait 3 minutes for the chocolate to soften and then using an offset spatula, spread the chocolate into an even layer
- Sprinkle with flaky salt and refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Lift parchment off of baking sheet and place on a cutting board and cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge and eat cold!