Slice and bake butter pecan cookies. Rolled in turbinado sugar before slicing and dipped in dark chocolate after baking. Does it get any better than that? There isn't an easier dessert. These easy holiday cookies are lightly spiced, not too sweet and 100% melt in your mouth. No like I mean it, they literally melt in your mouth when you bite them.
The key to these slice and bake cookies is letting your butter and egg come down to room temperature. We don't want the butter and sugar to size when we add our egg. Other than that there are no rules, promise!
I'll be honest. I am not a huge nuts in my desserts person. I don't mind them on top of a dessert, but INSIDE has been another story. Well, until these. This butter pecan shortbread recipe calls for mixing the pecans in with a beater so it breaks the pieces up so perfectly. Once cooked, the pecans become insanely soft. Did I mention we also toast the pecans with a pat of butter beforehand?
This super simple butter pecan cookies recipe will for sure be a staple cooking during your holiday season. My parents have requested I have bowls of them for "snacking" during Thanksgiving day, because who needs appetizers when you have cookies!
HOW TO MAKE SLICE AND BAKE COOKIE BUTTER PECAN COOKIES?
To start, toast your pecans with a pat of butter until just toasty and the aroma starts to hit your nose. Cream together room temp butter and coconut sugar on medium-high until fluffy. Add in your room temp egg and beat to combine. Next add in your flour, toasted pecans and spices and beat until combined and a stiff dough forms. On a lightly floured surface give your butter pecan cookies a good knead for about 30 seconds and form it into a ball. Split the dough in half and roll into 2 logs at about 2" high. Tightly wrap in plastic and place in fridge for about 2 hours to set up. Remove from fridge, coat with egg white and roll in turbinado sugar. Slice and bake them off and once cooled, dip in chocolate. Viola!
CAN SLICE AND BAKE COOKIES BE MADE IN ADVANCE?
YES! I high suggest you make these ahead of time especially if for a holiday gathering. Okay, a few things. You can make these a month in advance keep tightly wrapped in the freezer and place in the fridge the day before you want to bake them off to come down in temperature. The dough will keep really well in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can wrap tightly and store in the fridge for up to 5 days and remove, coat in turbinado, slice and bake off.
These butter pecan cookies will be your go to easy holiday cookies. Dipped in chocolate or not, they are absolutely phenomenal. However, I do strongly suggest you use the turbinado sugar for that exterior crunch. It is EVERYTHING!
OTHER HOLIDAY DESSERTS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Spiced Butternut Cake with Cinnamon Cashew Cream Frosting
- Vegan Pecan Caramel Pear Upside Down Cake
- Vegan Maple Pumpkin Biscuits
- Spiced Maple Glazed Apple and Whipped Feta Tart
- The BEST Dairy Free Lemon Pound Cake
If you make these easy slice and bake cookies please let me know by leaving a rating/review below! And make sure to sign up for so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on my Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness!
Butter Pecan Cookies
- 1 cup pecans toasted + 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 oz. unsalted butter room temp
- ½ cup granulated sugar white or coconut work great
- 1 large egg room temp
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon dash nutmeg
- 1 egg white for egg wash
- turbinado sugar for rolling use as much as needed
- 8 oz dark chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F
- On a parchment lined sheet, add pecans and 1 tablespoon butter and toast toast pecans for 5 minutes, stirring once Remove from oven and let cool while you start your dough then quick chop the pecans just a little
- In a large bowl with a handheld or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy
- Add in egg and beat to combine
- Add flour, spices, and pecans and and beat until combined and the pecans break up a bit. It will be a stiff dough
- On a lightly floured surface knead dough for 30 seconds, form into a ball and split dough in half. Roll into 2 logs and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in fridge for up to 2 hours
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment
- Remove from fridge and coat in whisked egg white and roll in turbinado sugar
- Slice about ¼" thick and bake for 10-12 minutes until just golden. Remove from oven and let cool
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 15 second intervals until melted
- Dip cooled cookies in chocolate
Up to 1 month in advance: tightly wrap and place in freezer. Place in fridge the day before bak off. Remove from fridge and coat in egg white and turbinado, slice and bake according to directions.
PIN TO SAVE FOR LATER!