This hearty chorizo sausage, radish and kale soup requires minimal effort and maximum nourishment!
I feel like radishes are the best kept cool-season vegetable secret out there. They are so versatile. They even act as potatoes in this soup! However, potatoes are always a good idea, so if you want potatoes throw them in as you would the radishes!
This soup is my way of saying that I am fully committed to all of the cozy foods for this cool Colorado weather. I would say I envy you if you are somewhere warm and sunny. But I am way too happy in Colorado to envy you. We have all the sun and some days are 60 degrees, so I can't complain.
If you're anything like me, you always need a side dish even with a heart bowl of soup. So, I suggest the most in season salad ever, this roasted carrot, citrus, mint and avo salad. The perfects side dish for any meal, really.
This sausage, radish and kale soup will give you the warm embrace you need on a cold day.
As I was digging through my fridge, I grabbed my wilted veggies that needed to be used; sad looking carrots, leeks and radishes. Thawed out some local Colorado chorizo and came up with this glorious bowl of nourishment. I suppose if I had celery on hand, that would have been a great addition, but that just wasn't the case.
So, I made do what what I had on hand! My love for radishes run deep. They are cheap, even organic ones and they roast up reallllll nice in the oven just like potatoes! I could eat a whole sheet tray of them...especially dipped in ketchup, my weakness!
I supposed this soup is perfect for you January Whole30 people and you non Whole30 people (me, hi). Either way, this soup will fit perfectly into your weeknight meal lineup, yielding plenty of leftovers for lunches too! WIN WIN.
If you make this sausage, radish and kale soup be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you liked the dish & how it turned out!
You can also follow me on Instagram and tag #abouttosproutrecipes to show me your beautiful creations!
PIN TO SAVE FOR LATER!
Chorizo Sausage, Radish, and Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. ground chorizo
- 4 medium – large carrots diced
- 2 leeks sliced thinly, washed thoroughly
- 3 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 8 rainbow radished cubed
- ¼ cup tablespoons fresh parsley roughly chopped, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz. kale ribs removed and roughly chopped into ribbions
- Optional: add ½ chopped sweet or regular potato
- Preheat a dutch oven or large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and chorizo and using a wooden spoon, break the sausage up.
- Brown chorizo on all sides (approx. 6 mins)
- Add your chopped carrots and leeks. Cook until your vegetables have slightly softened (approx. 10 mins).
- Add chopped garlic, paprika and chili flakes and cook 60 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, radishes, parsley and thyme, stir and bring everything to a steady simmer.
- Cover with lid and cook until radishes are fork tender (approx. 12 mins).
- Add kale and cook 4 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt as required.
- Ladle into your serving bowls, top with more fresh parsley and enjoy!