Something that can be so comforting in the winter with a bowl of your favorite chili or soup, while also being so perfect for bbq's come spring & summer.....cornbread, it really is the perfect food.
I LOVE cornbread, it is one of my favorite things and I can't get enough of it because it is good with all of the foods in all types of weather!
I really wanted to make a cornbread that could be very versatile and I think I accomplished that here! This not-too-sweet, healthier, mega delicious cornbread can be kept lightly sweetened with honey and can even be made savory-sweet with some add-ins! My favorite savory add-in for this cornbread is fresh jalapañeos and even chopped good quality bacon if you want to get crazy!
I used a combo of fine cornmeal and all purpose flour, and another lovely thing about this recipe is that it can be made gluten free using a 1-1 gluten free flour in place of whole wheat flour and can be made vegan using flax eggs! I have tested all of the ways, so you should have no fails!
The fam's preferred method is slathering some grass-fed butter on a nice big slice, savory or sweet!
PIN TO SAVE FOR LATER!
Best Ever Cornbread
- 1 cup fine ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk + 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease and 8x8 baking dish.
- In a large bowl add your cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your coconut milk and lemon mixture, then add your egg and melted butter and mix to combine. Then add honey and whisk until well combined.
- Add your wet mixture to your dry using a spatula to just combine the ingredients until fluffy. Don't over-mix, leave the batter fluffy.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, but based on your baking dish start checking at 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Slather with butter and jam.