This dairy free lemon pound cake will swoon you and anyone you make it for. An easy to make pound cake, made with simple, real food ingredients. I promise that it will leave your dessert loving bellies very very happy. Each time I make this cake, I make it with all of my heart, adding extra love, just like my grandma did for us.
My grandma's thing was lemon cake. Wow, it feels weird to write grandma or really even say it because my brother and I called her Magra since we could speak. Magra always made it for my cousins, it was their favorite request. It wasn't a bad lemon cake by any means. It was actually mouth watering delicious and it was really hard to stop eating because the flavor was just that good. You know when you're so full, but you just don't want the flavor to end? It was that kind of delicious.
I later found out that all this time she was using a Duncan Hines box mix lemon loaf. But, it didn't matter because Magra's love was one of the best kinds of love and she made that box mix taste DAMN GOOD with her added love.
So, this recipe is for my Magra.
Not from a box mix, but totally inspired by the Duncan Hines box mix. I tested this recipe a total of 5 times. Playing with different flours, sugar ratios and different forms of fat. I needed it to be perfect and I would not stop testing until it was. Hard job, I know, but someone has to do it¯\_(ツ)_/¯
After so many tests and tinkering, I think it is finally perfect. A tight crumbed, yet delicate pound cake bursting to the brim with bright and fresh lemon flavors. It truly is soul soothing, to say the least. So, I hope you make this lemon pound cake and remember someone you love, loved or lost. And that you make it with a little extra love.
OTHER SUMMERY TREATS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Lemon Linzer cookies with Raspberry Chia Jam
- Paleo Lemon Blueberry Basil Scones
- No Bake Brownies with Chocolate Ganache and Strawberries
- Salted Almond Butter Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Cookies
If you make this Lemon Pound Cake recipe please let me know by leaving a rating/review below! And make sure to sign up for emails so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on my Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness!
Magra's Lemon Pound Cake (Dairy Free)
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk + squeeze of lemon or ¾ cup buttermilk with no added lemon
- 1 cup sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lemons zested
- ½ cup avocado oil or flavorless oil
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice adjust based on thickness preference
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8x5 loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a small bowl, sift your flour, baking powder, and salt
- In another bowl, whisk together coconut milk + lemon mixture, 1 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet and whisk together until just combined
- With a rubber spatula, fold the avocado oil into the batter until totally combined
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 40-50 minutes until tester comes out clean and it is slightly golden
- Meanwhile, make your lemon syrup. In a small sauce pan on low heat add your sugar and lemon juice and stir to combine until sugar dissolves. Once dissolved, remove from heat to let it thicken up just slightly
- Remove baked loaf from oven and let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and poke really tiny holes all over the top of the loaf then spoon the lemon syrup all over the top of the loaf
- Let loaf finishing cooling completely and make your glaze by whisking the powdered sugar and lemon juice together
- Glaze once the loaf is completely cool