The BEST fudgy brownies. Easy, quick and dairy free!
Brownies are my favorite dessert, so over the past year, yes literally one whole year, I have been on a mission to make the best brownies you will ever eat. Now, if you follow me on Instagram you have likely seen me test brownies over and over and over again. Some tests have been inedible, others were just okay, and some were pretty good but not perfect.
Needless to say, if I am posting now, one year after all of my testing, the best fudgy brownie recipe if finally here! For this recipe I use my favorite vegan butter, but feel free to substitute with real butter. I have made it both ways and it is truly perfect every time.
SOME TIPS TO GET A PERFECTLY CRACKLY, SHINY CRUST
- Use room temp eggs!
- Whip your eggs and sugar together for a full 5-8 minutes. Do not skip this super crucial part. Use any granulated sugar you want, but whip until light and fluffy.
- When you fold in your dry ingredients, be extra careful.
- Use dutch processed cocoa powder. Okay, you don’t HAVE to use it, regular cocoa powder works just as well (promise!) but dutch processed is very smooth. It results in a mellow flavor and a deep dark color.
- Be careful not to over bake. Err on the side of under baked. You want to be sure you get a gooey and moist center. When you insert a tester, you want to find some fudgy crumbs, not totally clean.
HOW TO MAKE FUDGY BROWNIES
I’ve made this brownie recipe so many times at this point, it couldn’t be simpler and only requires a few minutes for the batter to come together. Start by melting you vegan butter an d dark chocolate together. Honestly, I pop my butter in the microwave until just melted and stir in my chocolate.
While that cools down, beat your room temp eggs, sugar and vanilla together. FOR A FULL 5-8 MINUTES until light, fluffy, and doubled in size. Please, DO NOT SKIP this step! Once fluffy, slowly pour in your chocolate mixture and whisk gently to barley combine. Sift together your flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, ground coffee and salt all into your wet mixture and fold to just combine. It is okay if there are some streaks, as we don’t want to deflate the eggs!
Pour into a prepared baking pan and bake until they are just set. Remember what I said before?? Be careful not to over bake. Err on the side of under baked. You want to be sure you get a gooey and moist center. When you insert a tester, you want to find some fudgy crumbs, not totally clean.
CAN YOU MAKE FUDGY BROWNIES IN ADVANCE?
YES! I actually think these are truly best day two. Bake them off one day before you need/want them and once they are fully cool, slice them! Put slices into a reusable bag or ziplock bag and leave at room temp on the counter.
YOU CAN ALSO MAKE:
- Blackberry Chocolate Cake (Paleo)
- Vegan Strawberry Chocolate Cashew Butter Truffles
- Chocolate Dipped Slice and Bake Butter Pecan Cookies
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you make this Best Fudgy Brownies recipe please let me know by leaving a rating/review below! And make sure to sign up for emails so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on my Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness!
Dark Chocolate Fudgy Brownies
- 1 cup or 229 grams vegan butter regular butter works great!
- 1 1/2 cups or 290 grams dark chocolate chopped
- 4 eggs room temp
- 1 tsp or 7 grams vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups or 253 grams coconut sugar or any granulated sugar or half white half brown.
- 1/2 cup or 70 grams all purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 cup or 50 grams cocoa powder sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp. or 5 grams baking powder
- 1 tsp. or 2 grams ground coffee
- 1/2 tsp. or 3 grams salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and line a 9x9 metal baking pan with parchment paper
- Melt vegan butter in the microwave or over a stovetop until just melted. Add your chopped dark chocolate and stir it together until fully melted together. Set aside to cool down
- Beat together eggs, sugar, and vanilla 5-8 minutes until light, fluffy, and doubled in size. DON’T NOT SKIP
- Slowly pour in chocolate mixture and whisk together to just barley combine.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, ground coffee and salt all into wet mixture and fold until just combined. It's okay if there are some dry streaks, as we don't want to deflate the eggs.
- Bake for 25-30 mins, until just set. When you insert a tester you are looking for a few fudgy crumbs to come up with it