Gooey rocky road cookies with all the fixins
Crispy edges, melty chocolate and gooey marshmallows centers;
What more do you need out of a cookie?
I have had severe baking fever the past couple weeks. What I have lacked in creativity, savory-wise, I have definitely made up for it dessert-wise. Like these gooey rocky road cookies
Stress always makes me want to bake because it gets me out of my head. So when I had all of these new deadlines coming out, I just procrasti'bake' instead. I know some of you can relate!
However, I am not complaining. This stress induced baking has created these magical cookies, now on a weekly rotation in my house. Other than our favorite classic chocolate chip cookies, which happen to be gluten free and vegan, these gooey rocky road cookies have quickly become a house favorite!
Crisp edges and gooey centers with pockets of marshmallows and dark melted chocolate throughout every bite. The reason I like to use chopped chocolate is because the sizes vary and they melt and spread through all the layers of the cookies.
If you can get your hands on some salted almond butter, you won't regret it. The salt absolutely enhances the sweetness you get from the maple syrup, marshmallows and chocolate. Salty-sweet is what I live for in desserts--you just need that balance!
These rocky road cookies are completely free of gluten, dairy and grains, well suited for everyones needs! If you want to get technical, the marshmallows aren't totally Paleo, but shortcuts people, shortcuts!
One bowl, soul satisfyingly decadent cookies that you won't be able to stop eating!
If you make these gooey rocky road cookies, be sure to leave a comment and let me know how you liked them & how they turned out! You can also follow me on Instagram and tag #abouttosproutrecipes
PIN TO SAVE FOR LATER!
Paleo Gooey Rocky Road Cookies
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ⅓ cup almond butter salted is my favorite for this recipe
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup mini vegan marshmallows
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet
- In a large bowl, add your egg, maple syrup, avocado oil, almond butter and vanilla and whisk well.
- Add your almond flour, baking soda and salt and fold into your wet ingredients until combined with no almond flour lumps.
- Add your chopped chocolate, marshmallows and chopped walnuts and combine with a spatula.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop, place each scoop on a baking sheet least one inch apart and slightly flatten the top of the cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are set and slightly brown on top. Let cool on baking sheet 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely--or eat warm!