These homemade chipotle chicken taquitos are stuffed with shredded chicken simmered in a luxurious chipotle sauce.
Spicy, a little bit of sweet, and booming with tons of flavor, these chipotle chicken taquitos make a great appetizer or meal. They are a family favorite and highly requested!
This recipe works well on both the stove top and Instant Pot, so the directions for both are below in the recipe card. spicy, sweet paleo taquitos that are booming with flavor. It makes a great amount of leftovers, which is seriously the best.
If you use less than 2 pounds of chicken breast you will have extra sauce. That is definitely not a bad thing! Some ways I like to use up the sauce is marinating other meat in it, and shrimp (extra delicious). Cooking veggies in the sauce right in the oven on a sheet pan or in a braiser pan in the oven. My all time favorite way to use up the leftovers, both sauce and shredded chicken, is breakfast tacos. SO DAMN GOOD.
HOW TO MAKE CHIPOTLE CHICKEN TAQUITOS
To make your chipotle sauce, place a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat with some olive oil. Add onions and smashed garlic and cook for 2 minutes becoming fragrant. Add all of your spices, chipotle pepper, tomatoes and apple cider vinegar and give a good stir then lightly mash down your tomatoes and let everything come to a boil. Then let is simmer for 25 minutes.
Turn your heat off and blend ingredients directly in your pot with an immersion blender. Alternatively you can pour the contents of the pot into a a regular blender until smooth then add it back to the pot and stir in your coconut milk.
Turn your heat back up to medium-high and allow your sauce to come back to a boil. Add your chicken breasts into your sauce and turn heat to low. Simmer your chicken, covered for 45 minutes-1 hour depending on the size of your chicken (or until easy shredding) Flip the chicken once at 30 minutes. Remove from pot and shred and place back in sauce.
Take your tortillas (for paleo tortillas Siete Foods makes the best) and heat for 10 seconds in the microwave for easier rolling, or in a hot pan for 15 seconds each side. Place a line of shredded chicken in your tortilla, closer to the edge. Roll your taquitos away from you and set seam side down. Coat a large pan with oil over medium heat and place the taquitos sea side down and continue flipping to brown each side. Get them crispy! Remove and serve with guac, salsa, lime and cheese(or put your favorite shredded cheese inside).
You can also easily make this in the Instant pot! Instant Pot directions are below in the recipe card.
CAN YOU MAKE CHIPOTLE CHICKEN TAQUITOS IN ADVANCE?
You can make the filling up to 4 days in advance! The filling makes great for topping salads or put it inside a bun like a pulled chicken sandwich. You can make the taquitos in advance, but you will have to re-crisp them in a pan or put them in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes.
YOU CAN ALSO MAKE:
- Roasted Vegetable Burrata Antipasto Sandwich Tarragon Lemon Basil Pesto
- Chimichurri Lamb Meatball Pits
- Best Ever Tinned Fish Sandwich
- Red Win Braised Short Ribs with Pomegranate Molasses
If you make these Paleo Chipotle Chicken please let me know by leaving a rating/review below! And make sure to sign up for emails so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on my Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness!
Chipotle Chicken Taquitos (Paleo)
- 1.5-2 lb. chicken breasts
- Half of 1 large onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 large poblano chopped diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt + pepper each adjust to taste
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp coriander can omit if you don't have
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo see notes for spice levels
- 24 oz canned peeled plum tomatoes or substitute with any 24 oz. can of tomatoes
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk
- Stove Top Instructions:
- In a large pot on medium-high heat add olive oil and allow it to get hot. Then add your onions and smashed garlic and cook for 2 minutes, allowing them to become fragrant
- Add all of your spices, chipotle pepper, tomatoes and apple cider vinegar and give a good stir then lightly mash down your tomatoes and let everything come to a boil
- Once it comes to a boil, let simmer on low heat for 25 minutes
- After 25 minutes, turn your heat off and with an immersion blender (or you can pour mixture into a regular blender) blend the ingredients together until smooth and place back in pot. Once blended stir in your coconut milk
- On medium-high heat, let sauce come back to a rolling boil and then add your chicken breasts and then turn on low heat
- Simmer your chicken, covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size of your chicken breasts (or until easy shredding), flipping the chicken once at 30 minutes
- Once the chicken is finished cooking, shred with two forks and place back in the pot to soak up the sauce for a few minutes
- Take your tortillas and heat for 10 second in the microwave for easier rolling, or put in a hot pan 15 seconds each side
- Place a line of shredded chicken in the tortilla, closer to the edge and roll your taquitos away from you and set aside seam side down
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, coat with avocado or coconut oil, or grass-fed ghee and place each taquito seam side down and continue flipping to brown each side
- Do this with the rest of your taquitos to get them crispy
- Remove from pan and serve immediately with guac, fresh salsa, lime, and cheese (or stuff cheese inside!)
- Instant Pot Instructions
- Follow instructions up to number 5 and then add all contents into your instant pot
- Place chicken breasts in the instant pot, making sure all chicken is completely covered by your sauce
- Set instant pot on Manual high pressure for 10 minutes
- Once you release pressure, shred your chicken and follow the rest of the instructions from above!