Soft and Chewy.
And totally chocolatey.
These oatmeal cookies have QUICKLY become my favorite cookie I have ever made. They are so soft and chewy and basically make everything totally right in this world.
They don't take but a few easy, delicious, real food ingredients. As you may have noticed, these cookies are not gluten free. They are not paleo, dairy free, sugar free, etc etc.
These oatmeal cookies with heaps of melty chocolate puddles and nutrient dense from hemp seeds, are made with real food ingredients.
As I come to really build About to Sprout, I am realizing more and more that I have been creating recipes not for myself, but to please a large group of diet restricted people.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE working with alternative flours and ingredients and have learned so so so much. And, I still plan to continue to bake and cooke some gluten free, paleo etc type recipes.
However, I personally have no dietary restrictions and am so grateful for that. But as I mold About to Sprout and as it continues to grow, it is so important for me to incorporate new recipes not focusing on any diet. Just focusing on real food ingredients. Nothing weird, funky or processed.
I really pride myself on being a real food advocate, because that IS how I eat. A longer more in depth blog post to come on this and my thoughts on how important food is to me and what kind of role it plays in my life (other than sustaining me daily)....maybe with some epic gluten full recipe, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Segways back to oatmeal cookies, obvi.
Okay, I love oatmeal cookies, but I should state that I am obsessed with cookies in general. Cookies of all kinds! Dark, milk & white chocolate, cranberry, peanut butter, pistachio, cinnamon, etc etc etc....I'll take them all! Big and small, buttery or cakey, soft or crispy, with or without icing. Throw some sprinkles on it. It doesn't matter to me, I love them ALL.
YOU CAN ALSO MAKE:
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Spiced Honey Cardamom Cookies with Orange Glaze
- Vegan Strawberry Cashew Butter Truffles
- The BEST Dairy Free Lemon Pound Cake
If you make these Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies please let me know by leaving a rating/review below! And make sure to sign up for emails so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on my Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness!
Sprouted Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Hemp Seed Cookies
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup unsalted butter very soft (i pop my stick in microwave 30 sec & its perfect)
- ½-3/4 cups coconut sugar depending on your sweetness preference
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups sprouted gluten free whole rolled oats not instant/quick oats
- ⅓ cup hemp seeds
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt more for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate or substitute with chocolate chips, walnuts, raisins, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line one large baking sheet or 2 separate ones and set aside
- In a large bowl, add the egg, butter, coconut sugar, vanilla, and mix with a whisk vigorously until smooth and slightly fluffy
- Add your oats, hemp seeds, pastry flour, baking soda, salt, and stir with a spatula to combine
- Add the chopped chocolate chips and fold into batter
- Using a medium sized cookies scoop, scoop mounds of batter onto sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in batches so cookies don't mush together if using a smaller baking sheet
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes.
- **I pull mine at 11 minutes, for softer cookies, but cook longer if you prefer more well-done cookies but do not over bake**
- Cookies firm up as they cool