Pumpkin carrot cake muffins topped with the most delicious streusel. A dessert (or breakfast) that must grace your Easter tables this year!
This year is looking a little different in terms of the type of celebrations we are having. No big parties or family gatherings, instead there are lots of zoom calls and face timing friends and family instead. But that doesn't mean we can't have fantastic food during this different time we are living in.
I really wanted to make a small batch recipe to celebrate this holiday for a few reasons. Some grocery stores are limiting the amount of product you can buy at once and many grocery stores are having difficulty keeping things in stock. It's also not the most fun or safest time to galavant to the grocery store whenever we want. Limiting our trips and outings is crucial in this uncertain world we are currently living in. Social distance for the win!
I love this recipe because it only uses 1 egg and only 1 ½ cup flour total for the batter and streusel. Someone is hoarding all of the all purpose flour, I just know it! There are also so many subs you can use if you are out of ingredients and can't or don't want to get to the store right now. Trust me, I haven't been in two weeks, so I get it!
SUB INGREDIENTS FOR SMALL BATCH CARROT CAKE MUFFINS
Flour subs: Gluten free four blend, Spelt flour, Whole wheat flour and Oat flour.
If you don't have oat flour, blend oats in a high powered blender until you get a fine powder. Whole wheat and gluten free flours may result in a denser muffin, but will still taste just as yummy. Spread a little yogurt on the muffin or make a glaze and call it a day! Spelt flour will give you almost identical consistency and may be a bit more airy, yum!
Vegan Butter subs Regular butter, Coconut oil
These can both be subbed 1-1. Just make sure when you make your streusel topping that you put the coconut oil in the fridge to get nice and cold to hold a crumble!
Pumpkin Puree subs: Mashed banana, butternut squash.
Sub pumpkin for either banana or squash 1-1. If you don't have canned pumpkin or squash, bake off fresh and puree it yourself! The reason I use pumpkin in this recipe is to cut down on the amount of eggs I used!
Egg sub: Flax egg.
To make one flax egg, use 1T ground flax & 2.5T water, mix together and let sit for 5 minutes to gel together.
Coconut Sugar subs: White sugar, Brown Sugar, Maple Sugar, Mokfruit.
Use all of these as a 1-1 replacer or use half and half of whatever sugars you have on hand!
No Carrots or spices? No problem! Use any fresh, frozen, or dried fruit you have, just use ¾ cup instead of the full 1 cup. Or leave the carrots or fruit out all together! Leave out the spices all together, if needed!
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CARROT CAKE MUFFINS
This easy Easter dessert recipe could not be easier. You need one bowl, whisk, and spatula, but you could totally scratch the whisk and spatula and just use a fork like me! Less mess the better, right?
Line a large 6 cup muffin tin with liners or grease well. In a large bowl mix together your melted butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat in your egg until combined well. Mix in milk and pumpkin until everything is nice and smooth. Add all of your dry ingredients right into the bowl and combine until all the flour has been mixed in. Fold your grated carrots into your batter. It will be a bit thick, this is normal! Divide batter between muffin liners.
Make your streusel by combining flour, sugar, spices, and butter in a bowl. You could totally make your streusel in the same batter bowl. Use your hands (your greatest tool) to crumble the butter into the dry ingredients. Get it really nice and incorporated! Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the batter in the muffins tins and bake them off until a tester comes out clean! A very easy Easter dessert that you will have fresh out of the oven in no time!
VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CARROT CAKE MUFFINS
OTHER EASTER RECIPES:
- Chimichurri Lamb Meatballs
- Herby Gruyere Creamed Spinach Challah Bread Pudding
- Black Pepper Herb Focaccia
- Spiced Maple Glazed Apple Whipped Feta Tart
If you make these Carrot Cake Muffin recipe please let me know by leaving a rating/review below! And make sure to sign up for emails so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on my Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness!
Streusel Topped Pumpkin Carrot Cake Muffins (Small Batch Recipe)
- 6 tbsp vegan butter melted
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg room temp
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ginger
- 1 cup shredded carrots about 2 large carrots shredded
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp vegan butter cold and cubed
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large 6 cup muffin tin or regular sized 12 cup muffin tin
- In a large bowl mix butter, sugar and vanilla
- Add egg, milk and squash and beat until smooth
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and salt and mix together. Fold in shredded carrots. Batter will be thicker, this is normal
- Make your streusel by combing flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl
- Add cold butter and use your fingers to mix the butter into the dry ingredients until a crumble forms
- Divide batter between the muffin tin and sprinkle with the crumble. Alternatively you could add half batter, a little streusel, some more batter on top and a final layer of streusel. Both will be so good
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a tester comes out clean