Getting spooky again this year with these mummy vegan rice crispy treats! These haunting halloween treats are triple chocolate, vegan, and so quick and easy to make. Truly a fun mix of spooky but also so so cute!
I riffed off of my Hocus Pocus SpellBook Brownies from last Halloween and went with the ‘bar’ theme. We love making treats like this because they come together really fast and you can make them your preferred size, making them great for kids and adults!
Pro tip: cut these into smaller bite sized pieces and put them in a reusable bag in the fridge.
What you’ll get with this recipe:
- An easy to throw together Halloween treat
- A sugar rush – duh! (a Halloween fav)
- An awesome treat to keep in your fridge and have a bite of when you ‘just need a little something sweet’
Ingredients for Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
These vegan rice crispy treats turn an old classic into a more elevated, fun, halloween dessert that you won’t be able to stop eating!
- Vegan butter
- Vegan mini Marshmallows
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate rice cereal
- Dark chocolate
- White chocolate
- Candy eyes
P.S- use some green, purple, and black food coloring or natural colored powders to make them Frankenstein crispy treats! List of ideas in the notes section of the recipe!
Tips for the best Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
Melt your butter, marshmallows, chocolate, and cocoa powder in the same pan, at the same time
On really low heat, start to melt your butter, marshmallows, chocolate, and cocoa powder together. This step takes time because we want the marshmallows really melted and for the chocolate to take over. We are aiming for a rich, chocolatey marshmallow fluff to mix in with our rice cereal.
Always melt you chocolate on the lowest heat setting
When melting your chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate, place you pan on the stove at the lowest heat possible. Let you chocolate sit there and start to slowly melt. Once you noticed the bottom layer of chocolate start to melt, use a spatula to move around the rest of the chocolate to melt it. This ensures we don’t burn our chocolate and it doesn’t seize up.
If you make these Vegan Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats, please let us know by leaving a review and rating below!
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on our Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness! Don’t forget to tag us on when you make a recipe at #abouttosroutrecipes
Looking for more decadent chocolate treats? Check out these ATS favorites!
- Hocus Pocus SpellBook Brownies – Vegan & Gluten Free
- Twix Bars – Vegan & Gluten Free
- Dark Chocolate Fudgy Brownies – Dairy Free
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Triple Chocolate Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
- 4 tbsp. vegan butter
- 10 oz. vegan marshmallows
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups chocolate rice cereal
- 12-24 oz. vegan white chocolate amount will vary depending on how coated you want them
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and grease with a little oil.
- In a saucepan over low heat, add you butter, marshmallows, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Let that stand in the pan for 1-2 minutes and then start to stir frequently until the mixture is smooth and combined, basically a chocolate marshmallow fluff.
- Lightly grease a large bowl. Add the chocolate rice cereal to the bowl and pour the marshmallow fluff over the cereal and fold until the cereal is thoroughly coated. Sometimes I like to use my hands here, but they will get sticky!
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking pan and using your hand or the back of a measuring cup, press evenly into the pan.
- Let that cool in the freezer for 15 minutes, or in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Right before you pull your rice crispy treats from the fridge/freezer, start to melt you white chocolate.
- Over low heat add your white chocolate. Let it stand for 1-2 minutes until you see the bottom get melty, then stir together with a spatula. Melt more white chocolate if needed, depending on how you will decorate.
- Cut the rice crispy treats into 9 squares and coat with the white chocolate. Freeze for 5 minutes, then drizzle on the mummy wrap. Place a dot of white chocolate behind the candy eyes and place on the bars.
For green add matcha powder, for black add charcoal powder, for purple add acai powder! You can also use any food coloring you might have. Storage: These can be kept in the fridge in a resealable bag for one week. These can be stored in the freeze in a resealable bag for 1 month.
I like to cut these into smaller bite sized pieces and keep in the freezer for when I want something sweet! Cut these up any size is best for you, making them great for kids and adults!