Jump to Recipe Sticky Date Cake.
Luscious, moist and perfectly sticky!
You know when you want something so bad you can almost taste it? Well, that was me last night lying in bed thinking I need to bake NOW. All I could think about was date cake. This certain date cake that I was craving has ridiculous flavor, is super moist and it hits all of the right sweetness buttons.
It’s my boyfriend’s mom’s cake that she makes only on occasion and I was really craving it. And I am a believer in honoring my cravings, not restricting myself from them.
So, I knew I had to figure out how to make her buttery, sugar loaded, straight delicious cake with my healthier spin, and guys I think I nailed it.
I think I nailed her Sticky Date Cake!
This cake was gone in a day. Everyone in my house destroyed it and I am so happy with how the cake turned out! I guess the next approval I need to get is from my boyfriend’s mom herself. That will be the ultimate test!
This cake is suuuuuper tasty and moist on its own, but it would also be crazy good with whipped coconut cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream….i’m just sayin..
Do you need another mouthwatering date recipe in your life?
How about my Roasted Cauliflower, dates and lemon tahini dish? How about my date cashew butter caramel in my homemade Twix! Or or or chocolate peanut butter fat balls with gooey delicious sweet dates as the only sweetness, filled with tons of delicious fats??
And make sure to sign up for our newsletter so you never miss a new recipe and follow along on our Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more About to Sprout goodness! Don't forget to tag us on when you make a recipe at #abouttosroutrecipes
PIN TO SAVE FOR LATER!
Vegan Sticky Date Cake
- ½ pound dates about 1 ½ cups pitted, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ⅓ cup water cold
- ½ cup softened refined coconut oil or vegan butter room temp
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 flax eggs 2 tbs. ground flax seeds + 6 tbs. water & let sit 10 minutes or 2 eggs if you eat them!
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup spelt flour or all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ refined coconut oil or vegan butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup canned full fat coconut milk can shaken
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease your choice of 8-inch pan.
- Place chopped dates in a pan with cold water and bring to a boil, while stirring to break up dates and let simmer on low heat for 1 minute and whisk in baking soda and then remove from heat.
- Cream together your coconut sugar and coconut oil until very creamy and then add your flax eggs. Scraping down as you go, add vanilla, spelt flour & salt and mix until your dough is lumpy like cookie dough.
- Add your warm date mix, scraping the sides as you go and then add the baking powder, which will make a very light and airy batter.
- Pour into your prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Your cake tester should come out clean when done.
- To make caramel, combine coconut oil, coconut sugar, coconut milk, vanilla & salt to a saucepan. Bring sauce to a boil and reduce to a simmer until it is a bit more thickened and well blended.
- When your cake is done, poke small holes all over and pour your sauce all over the cake. Let soak for 10 mins and then turn cake upside-down and serve.
- This makes a nice size cake, BUT you could totally double this, both the cake and caramel and make two layers and put the caramel in-between and it would be seriously outrageous!
- All purpose flour works great here too!
- You could use two eggs instead of flax eggs, if you can tolerate them or are not vegan!